The wall on 12 got finished up last Friday. Over 60 railroad ties were replaced throughout the wall. The top section in the picture was completely rebuilt by Felix and the crew. We used as many existing deadmen as possible and also installed a few new ones. The wall was backfilled up on the top and we will sod up against it in the coming weeks.
The big project for the week was installing new irrigation on the right of 11. Over the past few years we have spent a fair amount of time handwatering the rough here right of 11. The soil isn't great and the way the fairway is shaped, it needs a lot less water than the rough does. The 20 new heads will throw water out from the first cut and water only the rough. Our first step is to strip up 3 rows of sod to make room for the trencher and soil spoils.
The guys started close to the satellite box at the end of the fairway and got moving. We actually used our own trencher this time. We were able to get it tuned back up a few weeks ago with a new starter/generator, a few new hydraulic lines and brand new cutting teeth. The new teeth went through most of the soil very smoothly and left a clean bottom in the trench.
Out of 500 feet of trench, the last 100 got pretty rough with rock.
In addition to the 20 new heads we also installed a new quick coupler hose attachment. It is positioned in a big gap that was present from the existing system. Now we will be able to cover all areas of the fairway and rough with hoses as needed in the summer. You can see Lucky resting his arms from using a key piece of machinery for the project, the jumping jack tamper.
They dodged some rain and used the nice temperatures to get this buttoned up in just two days. The rock of course was left out and tossed into the stream to help support the banks. Once finished up the guys kept digging holes for more quick coupler replacements through the back nine. All of our old couplers have now been replaced and we have about 8 more left to install in new positions. Thankfully some cooler temperatures dropped in later in the week forcing back inside so we can get our painting started and hopefully finished up quickly.
A little further south we were busy networking and exploring other properties before the education conference and trade show got started. We found some nicely installed bocce ball courts at the Ritz. These took up a fair amount of (flat) space and no one on our crew is excited about adding more har-tru surfaces to our list of maintenance. We will keep these courts lower on the project possibility list.
My favorite part of the annual conference remains the trade show. So many of our products you really have to put your hands on to see and the best part is, everyone is always looking to cut a deal at the show.
I had looked at this spray hawk for few years but up until this year no one had picked up distribution in the US. Finally this year it was available so we picked it up for a sale price.
We also came across a new ball picker. The vendors were taken aback somewhat when I told them we can barely get a year out of our range balls. This picker is a completely different design on the drums than what we have currently. They are a softer plastic than won't scratch and rub the covers off our balls. The baskets are also larger and easier to work with. We worked a great deal on this picker and placed the order. If we can get even two solid years out of a new set of balls this picker will pay for itself quickly.
This is a mini asphalt paver. I have had the bad idea of just trying to repave our own cartpaths for a while now. It was nice to get some pricing on these small machines and I also had the guy tell me how to operate it....just in case.
Among the fun of touring the trade show, seeing your friends and making new ones, we had a number of important meetings centered around improving ourselves and our industry. Our final meeting on Thursday was the launch of the Best Management Practices template by the GCSAA. Maryland has been involved with this template from the start and will be the first state to use it in order to produce specific BMPs for the state. The BMPs are very in depth and focus on ways to improve water quality and continue to promote environmental stewardship. We are excited to get our BMP project finished up and start on distribution and validation this year.